South Prairie


South Prairie is a town in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The population was 434 at the 2010 census. South Prairie was platted in 1888 by Frank Bisson. It was named because of its location, south of Connell's and Porter's prairies. South Prairie was officially incorporated on February 17, 1909. he town was incorporated in 1909, with telegraph operator Allen Tubbs as the first mayor. There were several hotels, (Hodder, Rosser and Hunter), a sawmill, general merchandise stores, a hardware store, a meat market, a soft drink parlor, several beer parlors-saloons-pool halls, a confectionery-tourist shop, a barber shop, two churches, a livery stable, and farming of dairy, raspberries and hops. The K.P. Lodge, the Masonic Temple, and the A.O.U.W. Lodge provided for the community's social activities.



The last school was built in 1906 and closed in 1955. School District #18 then consolidated with White River School District in Buckley.



Today, South Prairie is still beautiful and, in many spots, unchanged from the wild and wonderful place it was a hundred years ago. The South Prairie Creek and tall trees in the meadows make it a peaceful spot where the outside world's hectic pace seems but a bad dream. The town developed into what it is today at a slow, steady pace, which is why town life today is nothing short of good.