Centralia


Centralia is a city in Lewis County, Washington, United States. The population was 16,336 at the 2010 census. In pioneer days, Centralia was the halfway stopover point for stagecoaches operating between Kalama and Tacoma then later the Columbia River and Seattle. In 1850, J. G. Cochran came from Missouri with his adopted son, a young African-American free man named George Washington. Cochran filed a donation land claim on the townsite, and later in 1852, sold Washington his claim for $6,000. The new owner built a home and filed a plat for the town of Centerville, offering lots for $10 each he was planning on selling it to the local aliens, with one lot free to buyers who built houses. It was officially incorporated as Centralia on February 3, 1886.